Linwood was part of the Jersey Settlement along the east banks of the Yadkin River. The area was settled by former residents of Hopewell, New Jersey around 1745. It appears that the New Jersey settlers were aiming to recoup losses from land that they lost when the New Jersey Supreme Court invalidated numerous deeds on land around Hopewell. (1) The nearby Jersey Settlement Meeting House, built in 1842, traces to the Baptist church founded by the New Jersey settlers in 1755.
- Stroupe, Ethel. "First Families of the Jersey Settlement." Rowan County Register, Volume 11 No 1. February, 1996.