|Nearly all of Spencer's Downtown area sits right across from the former Spencer Shops.|
Incorporated in 1905 - the town of Spencer is named after Samuel Spencer. Anchored by the Spencer Shops, which would go on to employ nearly 3000 people, the town quickly grew to nearly 2000 residents by 1910. The rail yard would be the town's heart and soul for decades. When the diesel locomotive overtook the steam engine, the Spencer Shops role within the Southern Railway system would diminish until it would cease operation in the 1960s. With the exception of the freight yard, the Spencer Shops would sit empty for nearly two decades. In 1977 and 1979, the Southern Railway donated the land and buildings within the Spencer Shops ground to the State of North Carolina. The site of the former Spencer Shops would eventually become the North Carolina Transportation Museum - opening in 1983.
|The North Carolina Transportation Museum.|