The island itself is home to the youngest lighthouse in the state. The Oak Island Lighthouse (pictured at left) was built in 1958 by the U.S. Coast Guard. In 2004, the lighthouse was turned over to the town of Caswell Beach. The Coast Guard continues to maintain the light with the town responsible for the grounds. Near the lighthouse are the remains of Fort Caswell. This brick fort was built in 1837 and was used for various purposes by the U.S. Military until 1945. Since 1949, the grounds of the old fort have been part of the North Carolina Baptist Assembly's retreat.
Oak Island is home to three fishing piers, over 50 public beach access points, and two public boat ramps. Photos below are from the Ocean Crest Fishing Pier and Caswell Beach.
All photos taken by post author in May 2006.