In the small North Gaston County town of High Shoals, four bridges cross the South Fork River. One of them sits along old highway 321, modern day US 321 Business, and is no longer in service. Directly downriver from it sits a modern two lane span carrying Business 321. About 1/4 mile upriver, dual spans carry a high-speed US 321 from Gastonia and points south to Hickory and points north.
steel truss bridge was built in 1931 and carried traffic for over 50 years.
It still stands today, more than likely used by local fishermen.
It is unknown if a prior structure existed crossing the South Fork.
Photos taken by post author (black and white) and Steven Duckworth - May 2003
Along North Church Street (US 70) in Burlington since 1947, Skid's Drive-In is one of the few remaining car hop drive-in restaurants (...
The third and final cable river ferry in North Carolina crosses the Meherrin River not that far from the Virginia State Line. Parker'...
On a rare short stretch of dirt road in Eastern Wake County sits the former Oaky Grove Methodist Church. While Raleigh's growth move...